Monday 23 August 2010

Swindon Town 1 Brentford 1 – Still Searching


My clipping from this morning's copy of The Sun - left - and the same match in The News of the World (links to both papers can be found below) 


A score draw in this one, but neither manager will have had a sleepless Saturday night.

Both Danny Wilson and Brentford boss Andy Scott have brought in a few new faces in the summer and so it will take time for them to gel with their new teammates as they both search for their first win. But Scott saw his team chalk up their first point of the season and Wilson must have been encouraged by the marked improvement on Swindon’s first home game of the season – a 2-1 reverse to Brighton.

Brentford took the lead after Robin’s full back Michael Rose failed to connect properly with a header back to keeper David Lucas and striker Charlie MacDonald nipped in the score from a tight angle in the 8th minute. It was a bread and butter goal for someone of MacDonald’s experience, but the 29 year old took it well nevertheless. He said afterwards:

“That’s precisely the reason why you always need to stay sharp on a football pitch. Precisely for occasions like that.”

MacDonald hasn’t set himself any targets this season, but said:

“I’ve done well in the last two and so I’m just looking for more of the same.”

Rose was left with his face buried in the grass - presumably wishing it would swallow him up - but it was just one of those clangers that you see at every level of football from time to time. However, all the more embarrassing if you're a pro.

For the next 30 minutes Rose looked slightly shaky, but then redeemed himself with a hand in David Prutton’s equaliser.

In the 40th minute the former Stockport full back who signed in the summer, launched a long throw to the near post, Sean Morrison headed a looping ball across the face of goal and former Leeds and Forest Prutton nodded in from about two yards for his first Swindon goal.

It was noticeable that while Prutton celebrated with his some of his teammates, Morrison and a couple of the other lads ran over to Rose to pat him on the back.

Morrison himself was immense on Saturday and must have given Wilson food for thought.

The Swindon manager had already stated his intention to try and bring in an established central defender to replace former skipper Gordon Greer - who left for Brighton in the summer -  but Morrison certainly staked his claim with a man of the match performance.

However, Morrison 19, has a cool head on his young shoulders. He told me after the game:

“This was my first start since about March and I think I’ve learned a lot in the last year or so. I went out on loan and probably didn’t appreciate what was happening and what it was for, but I’m not the sort of person to throw his toys out of the pram if he doesn’t get picked. Obviously I want to start as many games as I can and I’m ready whenever the gaffer wants me, but I’m only 19 and so I have time on my side and I’ll continue learning.”

Links to The News of the World football website: www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/

And The Sun’s football website: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football

1 comment: