Tuesday 24 August 2010

David Prutton - Old Friends

I met up with Former Forest and Leeds midfielder David Prutton after the Swindon game last weekend - a very nice and very genuine guy.

One thing he mentioned that surprised me was the fact that while he’d been talking to clubs in the summer, he had been really impressed with Andy Scott the Brentford manager he scored against in the 40th minute.

“I spoke to Andy in the summer and he’s got a lot of very progressive and good ideas. My agent knows him and so I spoke to him a couple of times about Brentford and what they had to offer. I just thought it wasn’t the right time to go there plus I was really impressed with what Danny had done last year.

I’ve also got a couple of very close friends here in David Lucas and Jonathan Douglas and you don’t often get the chance to play with people you’re good mates with. I’m not just here for sentimental reasons though, they’re both very good players and you want t surround yourselves with good players if you can. I’ve played in teams where I haven’t had that and it’s very hard work.

For example David is one of the best keepers I’ve seen as a reaction shot stopper and he showed that with a save from our defender Sean Morrison against Brentford..

Another reason I joined Swindon was that Danny Wilson likes to get the ball down and play. Sometimes he wants you to play in areas you wouldn’t think of which isn’t always the way, but he’s got a lot of good ideas.”

Listening to David talk about the game, it didn’t stretch my imagination too far to see him working in the broadcast media at some point in the future. He has a quick sense of humour, but also talks well about the game – certainly easier on the ear than Robbie Savage was on 606 as I drove home!

“It’s only three games in and you can’t get too carried away. It’s got the makings of a team that can do something. We need to keep having belief and make sure the fans keep making lots of noise. Football’s a different beast nowadays.

1 comment: