Sunday 17 January 2016

Oxford United 1 Carlisle United 1 - Archive

Charlie Wyke helped Carlisle to a useful draw, but his thoughts quickly returned to the city's flood victims.

Striker Wyke, 23, was involved the bizarre own goal by Oxford defender Che Dunkley that kept the Cumbrians in the promotion hunt before saying:

"I was about to shoot when one of their defenders kicked it in off the face of another defender - I'll still try and claim it though. That's the first bit of luck anyone connected with Carlisle has had all week."

Wyke and his team mates witnessed the damage done by flood waters first hand as they gave their own time to help out. He revealed:

"It wasn't nice to see, but it was good to be able to do something even if it was for just a few hours.

"The water was up to our shoulders as we moved carpets and stripped kitchens in people's homes. And it's not getting any easier for them with no heating or electric just before Christmas."

Oxford boss Michael Appleton said:

"I take my hat off to Carlisle for what they've done in the community this week, and that probably had a galvanising effect on them."

Winger Alex MacDonald, 25, opened the scoring and could have claimed a penalty, but said:

"I was probably thinking more about scoring than falling on the floor. I was touched a little, but not enough to make a big hop-hah out of it and I like to think I'm an honest player who wouldn't go looking for anything they didn't deserve.

"Carlisle are a good team, but you could see their togetherness and they did well after what they've seen this week."

Carlisle manager Keith Curle said:

"Last season I remember coming to Oxford and saying afterwards that we were weak. I've told the players it's very pleasing that a year later I can come here and say that I've got a group with real hunger who are strong."

No comments:

Post a Comment