Sunday 17 January 2016

Bristol City 1 Charlton Athletic 1 - Archive

Johnnie Jackson has not ruled out giving another rousing speech to his team mates before this afternoon's game against Wolves.

Skipper Jackson, 33, took centre stage in the dressing room after Saturday's draw at Bristol City to motivate a relegation threatened Addicks squad who have won only once at The Valley since August. He explained:

"I wouldn't be so aloof as to say it was a Churchillian, Battle of Britain speech, but I had something on my mind and so I just asked them for a minute. I felt that we had mentally turned the corner with that point.

"It's part of the captain's role, but I don't say things for the sake of it and don't do it before or after every game because it would lose its effect. 

"The fans expect us to dig in and fight. That's the least they deserve, but it can't be for one game, it's got to be the attitude every single week now starting against Wolves. We're desperate for the three points, but I don't want to label it as a 'must win' because there are a lot of games left and a lot of points to play for."

And Jackson is hoping to hear a more vocal dressing room from now on. He said:

"I'm not sure whether I'll say anything before we play them, I'll mull it over, but it's important that there are a lot of voices heard and not just one or they'll start to think 'Oh, here he goes again'."

Manager Karel Fraeye will be without experienced midfielder Alou Diarra, 34, who limped off in the first half against the Robins, but confirmed that Iceland winger Johann Berg Gudmundsson, 25, has shrugged off an ankle injury and is likely to be back in contention this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment