Thursday 25 August 2011

Name dropping

While attending the Wycombe v Forest League Cup fixture at Adams Park on Tuesday evening I bumped into breakfast telly host and Strictly Coming Dancing star Bill Turnbull who is a fully paid up member of the Chairboys fan club.

Bill was preparing to do a little work with the club's website and asked the commentator where he should sit.

"With your back to the pitch." I suggested with my tongue in my cheek. However, never a 'truer' word ...

Defending his boys to the last, Turnbull told me it would be like watching Brazil (I think I saw his tongue shift in his mouth as well).

At half time after watching Forest play some great stuff, he ruefully said: "I didn't say which side would play like Brazil."

The following morning I dragged myself out of my pit at about seven o'clock looking like an extra from Dawn of the Dead, flicked on the TV and saw a bright eyed Turnbull looking back at me. Credit to the man. I don't know how much sleep he managed, but he must have been up at about three or four o'clock to get to the studio. The mark of a really professional broadcaster and - more importantly - a true footy fan. Nice fella too, although I couldn't help but be disapponted that Susanna Reid didn't support Wycombe.

The BBC will soon be shifting its operation to Salford from London and Bill has confirmed that he will also make the move. It'll make it tough for him to attend games like the one the other night, but don't rule out spotting him at Rochdale, Preston or Bury on a cold winter's evening.

I also bumped into veteran winger Gareth Ainsworth at half time who - although rested for the game - was feeling the pain of his colleagues, but remained positive and realistic. Gareth is one of the games' good guys and told me that Wycombe's priority was to ensure they reached safety as soon as possible in the league so the club could continue to build from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment