Friday 5 August 2011

MK Dons v Hartlepool Preview and predictions for local clubs this term

As I mentioned earlier in the week, I have been sent off my usual patch for the first game of the season and will be at the stadiummk for the first time. A mini preview piece follows below, but if followers of either club wish to pitch in with some 'inside info', just use the comments box below.

I have also used this post to give my predictions for the clubs I do cover on a regular basis. These include; Bristol City, Wycombe Wanderers, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham Town, Hereford United, Oxford United and Swindon Town.
******
Hartlepool will be without a pair of their strikers when they take on MK Dons in tomorrow’s opening day fixture at stadiummk. James Brown and Colin Larkin are both carrying ankle injuries and it looks as though manager Mick Wadsworth will start with Paul Murray up front.

Dons manager Karl Robinson picked up a £1000 FA fine yesterday as a result of an altercation last term with then-Swindon assistant manager Ian McParland during his side’s 1-0 win at the County Ground. He was charged with improper conduct and warned about his future behaviour. However, Robbo is already looking ahead to this season and was quoted by the Milton Keynes Citizen as saying:

“The players want to go up automatically, so let’s see where the season takes us. If we get the luck that all our hard work deserves, then we will be there or thereabouts. We have the quality, the right people in place, the fans that are geared up, and we’re ready. It’s going to be a tough league – not one won by Christmas – and we’re prepared for the challenge.”
******
Before a ball is kicked – and to show how little I really know about football – I thought I’d put together some brief predictions for the teams I cover on a regular basis:

Bristol City – I think that Keith Millen and his troops could end up being the surprise package of the Championship this season. I don’t think that they are strong enough to win automatic promotion, but they might well finish in a play-off position.

Wycombe Wanderers – Gary Waddock has tweaked the squad that won promotion from League Two and I think that they have enough strength to see them in the top half of the table.

Bristol Rovers – I actually see this lot storming back into League One via the automatic spots come next May. Paul Buckle is one of the lower leagues bright young managers and he has a healthy and talented squad to work with.

Cheltenham Town – Mark Yates has also tinkered with his squad, but I fear that it won’t be enough to get them promoted. Having said that, they are more than capable of turning any other team over on their day. A top ten finish.

Hereford United – Like Cheltenham, unfashionable with a limited budget and an enthusiastic and shrewd manager – this time in the form of former physio and player Jamie Pitman. The Bulls will also surprise some teams this term, but I see them having a bit more to offer than Cheltenham and may make it into the play-offs.

Oxford United – The fans expect, the board expects and boss Chris Wilder and his players will know that they have to deliver. Many Us fans expected to march straight through League Two and gain promotion at the first attempt last season having won their place back in the Football League, but most were sensible and accepted that consolidation was key. This time around the vast majority will expect to be pushing for promotion and I think they’ll end up smiling, going up automatically.

Swindon Town – Given my track record in predicting football matches and league positions, Robins’ fans will be delighted to read that I think they will miss out this time around (which of course means they’ll end up as Champions). I just feel that Paolo di Canio has too many new signings and very few of them make you lick your lips in anticipation. I wonder whether the board at Swindon have got caught up in the di Canio euphoria that swept SN1 this summer and let him have his head a little too much. I voiced concern at the end of last season that if they didn’t get it right they could end up dropping into the Blue Square Premier league. While I doubt this will happen, I can’t see them getting promoted either automatically or via the play-offs. Bottom half finish if they’re lucky I’m afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment