Friday 6 August 2010

Mikkel Andersen – Hand in Glove

Stoke City’s World Cup keeper Thomas Sorensen has tipped Bristol Rovers rookie Mikkel Andersen for the top.

Keeper Andersen, 21, agreed a one month loan deal after spending much of last season at Rovers and will face Peterborough in Saturday’s opener at London Road.

Sorensen, 34, is Denmark’s first choice stopper, but watched his young countryman at close quarters during the midweek friendly at the Memorial Ground and then said:

“He’s definitely a talented guy and I think that he’s doing all the right things at the moment. He’s secured his future at Reading with a three year deal, but has also opted to go out on loan to gain experience which is the smart thing to do and something I did earlier in my career. I know that he was highly thought of by Rovers last season when he was there last season as well and that helps.

I must admit though that was surprised to see him standing next to me in the tunnel before the game and had to do a double-take as I had no idea he’d just signed for them. But I got a good look at him and he played well. Even though we beat them 2-1 he was really unlucky for the first goal because he made an excellent save from Tuncay before he knocked in the rebound. And he had no chance with Ricardo Fuller’s second either.”

Former Sunderland and Aston Villa keeper Sorensen is still hoping to add to his haul of 90 international caps after performing well in this summer’s World Cup Finals, but had his eye on the next generation as well when Denmark’s kids were runner’s up in the Toulon Tournament. He said:

“Mikkel played well for our under-21s there and I think he started something like four out of the five games which is pretty impressive.

I may not ready to give up my shirt just yet, but it’s good to know that we have has some very good keepers coming through. Apart from Mikkel there’s Martin Hansen at Liverpool, Kasper Schmeichel at Leeds and a few others and so he has to keep working hard, but I’m sure that he’ll do well if he carries on the way he has.”

1 comment: