Friday 27 August 2010

Back to Whaddon Road tomorrow – Emerald Isle

I’ve been given the Cheltenham Town v Burton Albion game to cover tomorrow afternoon, but have to make sure I catch a plane back to Stansted from Shannon first thing this morning if I’m to make it.

The next few weeks are fairly chaotic with three trips abroad on business and a family holiday break coming up, but of course everything is organised around the footy fixtures! Like I said to my wife, I have to get my priorities right. This was just before the rolling pin bounced off my nut.

So – assuming I make it to Cheltenham – it should be an interesting tussle.

The last time these two sides faced each other, the Robins won 6-5 at Burton’s Pirelli Stadium back in March. You would think that a repeat performance is unlikely, but then given Cheltenham’s 6-4 loss last weekend up at Rotherham, who knows.

As I mentioned after my last visit to Whaddon Road, the way Cheltenham knocked the ball about was quite special and so I’d definitely recommend investing a few quid to go and watch them if you’re kicking your heels on Saturday afternoon.

I can’t comment on Burton as I haven’t seen them play for some time – in fact not since current boss Paul Peschisolido took over – and so I look forward to getting to know them better.

Burton won their first game of the season last weekend at home to Morecambe, but are unbeaten in the League having picked up two goalless draws against Barnet and Oxford (maybe Paul’s been working on that defence since March!).

So assuming I don’t over-indulge with too many points of the black stuff on Friday night and miss the flight, I may see some of you in the Cotswolds tomorrow aftrenoon.

1 comment: